PDA

View Full Version : Buick G-Body: Cracked A-pillars and Shaky T-tops

TheCoatingStore.com

DMan
06-07-2006, 05:17 AM
Good morning,

Newbie here! I have an 86 T-top GN with about 105k miles. A few years back I noticed that both A-pillars have a crack in them, right at the base where they join the frame near the upper door hinge.

I've got some serious T-top integrity issues here. Going over bumps you
can see the windshield waggle back and forth, and subsequently the t-
tops make/break contact with the roof section at the rear. Sounds
unbearable. Looks terrible.:(

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this repairable? Any tips on
what the right approach is? The windshield really shakes a lot too and
the squeaking/creaking is horrendous...

Thanks in advance,

Denis

Phil V
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
can you get us some pictures of the damaged area and post them here on this site ?

SuthnCustoms
06-12-2006, 10:41 AM
those GN's were awesome street performer machines..the thing is that the even stock turbo V6 puts out a TON of torque which causes alot of stress on those stock body & frames
most people even beef the turbo up a bit on them & thats even worse on that body..my freind has an 86 also..he stiffened the frame up & also added a roll bar inside to keep the windsheild from popping out..we seen a guy do it at a drag strip in a GN once his tires got hot enough & hooked up

Roch_Greg
07-05-2006, 12:22 AM
If I am reading what your saying right, I think I have the same issue (not as bad though) on my '85 Regal Coupe (NA engine).

Barring any reponses here you can check the forums over at Turbo Buick (http://www.turbobuick.com/).

You be surprised at how many of these cars are still on the road (fully restored or just basic maintence). Their message board is also a good source for parts (NOS, parted out, and performance upgrades

If it's a common probelm someone over there has dealt with it before. Like the roofs of the Regals. Many have cut a good one off another car and welded it on to theirs

Good Luck

Greg