PDA

View Full Version : 1200/1500 DA pigtails

TheCoatingStore.com

gtome
05-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok, clear is cured (been 3 - 4 days), and I always seem to have a problem with the paper getting little hard nibs on it when i am color sanding. Sometimes I can wack the DA paper and they will fall of and I can get back to sanding. Other times they are stuck too well and I have to change paper. I am using hookit II by the way.
Any suggestions?
Seems like this makes me change paper way too prematurely. I dont want pigtails. I had started with 1500, but switched to 1200 to see if it made a differance...... it didnt. I would really like to dry sand to knock down the worst of the peel and dust with 1500, then switch to 3000 trizac wet next.

Budulater
05-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Sounds like either your running the DA at too high RPM,Or Clear isn't fully hardend,or Maybe not enough water??Its hard to say ,or a Combination of any of the reasons I fore mention.I know you said the clear sat 3 to 4 Days,but some clears are funny that way.Make sure the Temps are warm enough to setup the Clear.I don't attempt to dry sand with 1500, I just don't see anything but a waste of time.It just won't give you any labor friendly results.Always use water.Also Make sure your using the right temp hardner for the job,I wouldn't use a slow hardner at 65 degrees or you may end up with your problem.Maybe try a different clear next time.
Tony

Henry
05-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Ok, clear is cured (been 3 - 4 days), and I always seem to have a problem with the paper getting little hard nibs on it when i am color sanding. Sometimes I can wack the DA paper and they will fall of and I can get back to sanding. Other times they are stuck too well and I have to change paper. I am using hookit II by the way.
Any suggestions?
Seems like this makes me change paper way too prematurely. I dont want pigtails. I had started with 1500, but switched to 1200 to see if it made a differance...... it didnt. I would really like to dry sand to knock down the worst of the peel and dust with 1500, then switch to 3000 trizac wet next.

I bought finish film from Len many years ago and let it sit for over a half a year. I had a fear of sanding finished paint with other than the traditional wet by hand method. Then I tried it.
I used it dry and love it and will never go back. Dry is how it was intended to be used. Allows me to see where any peel is with no water mess.

With that said, how far does your paper go? When you say too much paper, how many sheets does it take you to do a door? You may be using the same amout as the rest of us. Also, how heavy is your peel and how does the paper act on areas more smooth to start with?
I try wiping down the panel and the paper more often in anticipation of what you have on your paper. Seems to work for me. Also, if your peel is too heavy you should start with a coarser paper just to bring the surface in line then go to finer paper. Keep us posted. Henry

gtome
05-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Well, the peel really isnt very bad. I would say average, or slightly less. I do have more than average dirt in it though. Not super bad, but probly more than most.
I think the door I did took me 5 sheets. And, I did stop often to wipe the door off.

It was mid to upper 80's all week, and I used a medium reducer. After day two, I took the panels out in the sun. Them suckers should be more than cured.

I can see that the clear has tiny little "chips" of dust when I sand? It has been a couple more days now, so maybe it will be better. I tried to switch to the 1200 to start and it really didnt help

Robert
05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
scrape the paper lightly before you use it, very lightly. Then, every little while, run it against a white scotch bright to break up the pills. Finally, use 3000 trizact to refine the scratch. After that, buffing should be no problem.

gtome
05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
I will try that. I usually take the DA against my apron to help knock the stuff off every so often.

tech69
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
your apron could be causing it. Fabric balls love attaching themselves to sandpaper. Just keep it clean wet and slow and check it more than you do now. If you let it go for too long without checking it's hard to avoid.

gtome
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, but it does it before I touch it to my apron. I am working it dry, so.......
If it continues, I will be going wet, although I shouldnt have to at this point.

Dennis N. Schmidt
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Many points:

1) If you can get 10 square feet out of a piece of finishing film that's about it before it begins to corn. Yes, the shit's expensive but that's reality so if you're trying to make it go further than this good luck, you'll need it.

2) I use a finger nail brush to remove the corns from the paper as I find this to be the most effective method. This works a couple of times and then you have to throw the disc away regardless.

3) For the price you would think the 260L should last forever, but believe me it doesn't. Sanding a complete full sized car can easily use 25 discs. That's what you should plan for.

4) An alternative is the new P1500 purple Trizact clear coat sanding discs which are used wet. These will last a full panel and maybe more. I normally start with P800 260L dry (so that I can see what I'm doing) and then go over to these to remove the P800 scratch. If you did what you're suppose to do with the P800 the ability to see what you're doing is less important with the P1500 as you're only doing scratch refinemeint so I don't mind the fact that these must be used wet. The only problem with using 260L wet is that it vacuum sticks to the work. If you look at the new P1500 Trizact paper it has a bunch of holes punched into it to prevent this vacuum locking so that the paper continues to rotate. Clever boys up there in Minnesota.

gtome
05-18-2010, 10:40 AM
At the rate im going it will take way more than 25 to get it done. But if thats what it takes, thats what it takes.

If wet is what it needs, then wet is what it will get.

gtome
05-20-2010, 10:51 PM
This sanding is really starting to irritate me! I dont get 30 seconds of dry sanding before I start getting pills. Then no matter what i do they come right back and I get pigtails! The coarsest I have is 1200, and im not buying anymore! Already bought a box of 1200, 1500, and 3000. I have tried 1200 wet, to see if I can get the paper to last longer, but it doesnt seem to do much? Plus, I didnt get it so i could do it wet, that really wasnt the point of using the da. I even tried to use 1000 by hand wet first to see if knocking it down quick with that would help, but it really didnt. Grrrrrr!

I think had i gotten some 800 or so for the DA and gone at it wet it may have worked better. Plus im wondering now if maybe I had too much soap in the water?? I am going to try less soap tomorrow and wet the 1200 again to see what i get. By the time I get this figured out I will be finished! Did the hood, trunk, and doors already. Fenders are really kicking my ass, plus I dont have a good way to hang them to work on!

I will post results of tomorrows efforts, but really I should be able to finish it. i may even take my little Flip video recorder to work tomorrow, so I can get some much needed advice for the next one.