PDA

View Full Version : SF application question;

TheCoatingStore.com

J Early
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I do the same with the black or orange pad; I will first wet the pad, then load the pad with SF by putting a line the size of a pencil on the car and then slowly run the pad on it. I will start buffing, and in each new area of buffing I will re-wet the pad (or spray a little in the panel) and every so often put just a couple additional drops of SF on the panel when it is getting thin. This is great with the orange pad, but often time with the balck pad I get the SF to gum up on the panel and it will not come off unless I stop buffing and use a wet microfiber rag to rub it off. This can get aggrivating when it happend 5 times in a row after 10 seconds of buffing. I experimented with less water, less SF, more water etc with no success. Does anybody else have this happen and what are suggestions? Otherwise I love the stuff!
thanks.

Robert
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
and you shouldn't be using so much that it gums up. You've got too much product on the pad.

Call the number on the bottle.

LS6
04-28-2010, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=J Early;134674]I do the same with the black or orange pad; I will first wet the pad, then load the pad with SF by putting a line the size of a pencil on the car and then slowly run the pad on it. I will start buffing, and in each new area of buffing I will re-wet the pad (or spray a little in the panel) and every so often put just a couple additional drops of SF on the panel when it is getting thin. This is great with the orange pad, but often time with the balck pad I get the SF to gum up on the panel and it will not come off unless I stop buffing and use a wet microfiber rag to rub it off. This can get aggrivating when it happend 5 times in a row after 10 seconds of buffing. I experimented with less water, less SF, more water etc with no success. Does anybody else have this happen and what are suggestions? Otherwise I love the stuff! [ Quote ]

JEarly,
The orange pad ALONE should do a very good job using the Sure - Finish after you have done your cutting with SF and a wool buffing pad.

The black foam pad is a very soft, very mild pad and is used for swirl removal as a final finishing step. It's usually used with a very mild swirl removal product like Presta swirl remover. I believe the black foam pad doesn't match up well with compounds, because it has a very little cutting power. That's why the SF loads up on this pad. It's not the Sure - Finish, it's the pad causing your problem.
LS6

Dennis N. Schmidt
05-02-2010, 02:20 PM
No need for water with foam. Sure-Finish is a solvent based polish. It, unlike most of the compounds currently sold, is not water based and therefore doesn't require water as a lubricant which is the reason most other compounds benefit from its use. As these water based compounds dry out their behavior degrades without water and they begin to scratch. The water is a required lubricant.

In a blazing hot climate like I have (Phoenix, AZ). Sure-Finish is great as it stays wet on the pad a lot longer than water based compounds.

The reason for water with the wool pad and Sure-Finish is to condition (which in this case means physically swell) the fibers of the wool so that it holds the polish better. It's not being used as a lubricant. It physically changes the characteristics of the wool.