PDA

View Full Version : polishing by hand

TheCoatingStore.com

eg-spoon
04-24-2010, 07:30 PM
hi i just got my bumper and fender painted and got orange peel, can i compound and polish by hand or i have to buy a buffer?

Robert
04-24-2010, 08:14 PM
the boards for an answer?

eg-spoon
04-24-2010, 08:23 PM
yea i search but most of the people here polish with a buffer and cannot find anyone saying they polish by hand

Len
04-25-2010, 07:21 AM
hi i just got my bumper and fender painted and got orange peel, can i compound and polish by hand or i have to buy a buffer?

Polishing by had is very difficult and is usually only done on small spots. If you want to attempt rubbing it then be sure to sand it with fine sandpaper like 1500 then 2500 grit prior to hand rubbing but it's still going to be a lot of work.

Robert
04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
yea i search but most of the people here polish with a buffer and cannot find anyone saying they polish by hand

Still, if you want to polish by hand, then spend a lot of time sanding with the finest paper you can find, probably 3000 grit trizact and keep lightening you pressure till you're barely touching the paint. Go for the best shine you can with the paper before you even think of starting with polish.

Then, expect to take a week or so getting it right.

Henry
04-25-2010, 11:41 AM

I see you are a newer member so welcome aboard the best site on the net!!!

You said you just got the 2 parts painted. Did a shop paint them or? My thought is if you paid then maybe you can have them fine tune the job.
What kind of vehicle and what color and are we talking basecoat/clearcoat paint AND how much CLEAR is on the parts?
You really need to know how much material (clear) is there BEFORE you start sanding.

Next question not meant to intimidate you is do you have any experience in painting (repair) in case you sand or buff/polish through the clear? Whatever you do, even with a buffer, don't do the bumper cover (assuming plastic) first because it's easier to buff or sand through because the part is soft and the heat generated will burn more quickly than a metal fender.

DON'T buy a Harbor Freight buffer as they have nothing that will help a novice in this situation. This is where machines like the Makita, Hitachi and other machines pay for themself because of how you can dial them into the work you want to do.

Come back and tell us what you have or post a picture if you can so we can help you better. Bottom line is I would rather you have some orange peel than burn throughs. Let us know. Thanks. Henry

gtome
04-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Man i dont even like to polish with a machine!! I couldnt even imagine doing it by hand:?

eg-spoon
04-26-2010, 07:25 AM
ye i paint it my self, the color is black ,i put 4 coats of clear, i think im going to buy makita or dewalt polisher, thanks for all your comments

Henry
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
ye i paint it my self, the color is black ,i put 4 coats of clear, i think im going to buy makita or dewalt polisher, thanks for all your comments
Well you have enough clear to play. The makita would be your best machine since it does have the variables you need for buffing the bumper cover with care.
You would find you get a bonus with the Makita for stripping paint off quickly without getting the metal too hot and use a lot less sanding discs. A tool that really pays for itself. Click on the LINK below to look at the best deal around:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MAK9227CX3&Category_Code=T2
This is the best deal around because you get a great price and a place that you can come to for FREE INFORMATION on how to exactly use the machine for your needs and Len's great customer service.

Below is a LINK of the best pads you can use for ANY buffing task you need to do. The price is actually very cheap compared with cheap pads from China that will not do the job correctly:

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SFPADS&Category_Code=T2

You could also buy a buffer for $39 but it would be JUNK because it is too aggressive with NO CONTROL like the Makita. Make the right choice on a tool that can do many things for you.
Keep us posted on what you do. Stay in touch. Henry