PDA

View Full Version : Back side of fender color?

gtome
04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Ok, im almost done with my dry sanding project! I have the car in pieces, so im wondering what everyone does for the backside of fenders and stuff?? Do you paint them body color? I think some of it is seen. I almost think you would want it the same sheen as the black of the rest of the compartment.... but never paid attention before. And how bout the front cowl area? The compartment will be black, do you stop at the top lip of the firewall, then body color the rest (below the winshield-above the firewall)?

200horse
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
what year and type of car? are you looking for a custom look or stock?

gtome
04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
It is going to be pretty much stock. On a 66 Impala SS..... red with a black interior. Only custom thing he wants is body color on the under side of the hood. Black inner fenders, firewall and rad support.

Len
04-20-2010, 10:18 PM
On most of the cars we do the underside gets semi-gloss black. If you paint it with gloss you can see every ripple and bump and seam, semi-gloss makes the surface of the car stand out. However, if it's a classic resto you may want to keep it original if it's going to be judged.

In most cases the firewall is painted either the color of the car or black and for most cars the firewall and the inner fender wells are gloss black. The firewall black stops before the metal goes vertical behind the hood, there it changes to exterior color.

We use Zero Rust for the undersides, under the cowl grill and in body cavities because it's the perfect amount of gloss, it bonds well with any prepped surface, it's inexpensive, it holds up well and it's safe and inexpensive to use.

http://autobodystore.com/6604.jpg
http://autobodystore.com/6639.jpg

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/zrcans.jpg
Zero Rust Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=RCAC)

turbocobra
04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
+1 for ZR for under carriage, engine bay, backs of body panels, etc. Good product!

gtome
04-20-2010, 10:31 PM
I am being forced to use rustolium semi gloss on the firewall and inner fenders. So im sure I will have to use that on the inside of the fenders too.

Len
04-20-2010, 10:35 PM
You got to do what you got to do but now you're armed with more info for the next job.

gtome
04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Yep! Getting to do a 56 Chevy next! Super solid car that we are hand stripping. The others have been kind of quickys that had previous filler work already done, with paint chipping in the door edges and such. Im looking forward to doing a nice one. Kind of sucks to do a car and get it laser straight, to have to then put crappy stainless back on, or spray paint some rusty chrome!

I will be out of a job when this guy realizes this crap isnt worth 20k like he thinks it is.

Im curious on the Zero rust, do you have to mix the quarts, or is it ready to spray?

Len
04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
The Zero Rust in quarts and gallons gets thinned a little for spraying. I use either reducer or lacquer thinner.

gtome
04-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Great thank you!!

gtome
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey Len: I was just pre-fitting the body panels one last time before painting. And when I put the fenders on I noticed that with the door open, I could see down the inside of the front fenders (where they will be black). Is this common practice with black engine compartments? The car will be red, and you will be able to see the black on the inside of the fender. Im concerned with that looking silly. Or for all I know it may look super cool and well restored. What are your thoughts on this?

Here is a pic of what i mean.

Len
05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Hey Len: I was just pre-fitting the body panels one last time before painting. And when I put the fenders on I noticed that with the door open, I could see down the inside of the front fenders (where they will be black). Is this common practice with black engine compartments? The car will be red, and you will be able to see the black on the inside of the fender. Im concerned with that looking silly. Or for all I know it may look super cool and well restored. What are your thoughts on this?

Here is a pic of what i mean.

If the area is visible with the door open then I'd consider spraying it with the car's exterior color prior to installation. If it's hard to see I'd let it go.

88GT
05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I have been using a 2K single stage semi gloss black, but that takes forever to dry and requires a huge 2.0 tip. Is the ZEro rust a better option for say, the underside of a classic GM hood?

gtome
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I think it will be pretty easy to see. Especially when it is black and the car is bright red. The problem is, I dont want to be able to see red on the inner fender from the engine compartment either. Maybe I could just paint the section that can be seen from the door (maybe to the back side of where the fender starts to open for the wheel well? And then leave the rest black so it doesnt show red from the engine compartment side (shouldnt be able to see it past the inner fender).

Any idea how these things were from the factory? I didnt see any red paint, but then again, there wasnt much of any paint left on them?

Primal
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Stock car colors..

Many cars were made with no paint on backside of fender only the visible edges were painted and usually not very well. Its best to put paint though you can buy paint that is steel color.

Im more familair with chrysler products myself. done some gms though. rad support, inner fenders, fan shroud, frame, all black paint. firewalls were coated black but original paint of body is underneath that.. this is also hit and miss as it was dealer option (sound deadner).

Personnaly i used a good paint all over car (usually enamel) then for "show cars" use steel paint on underside of body inside of fenders.

Gm used alot of gloss black, Chrysler satin (semi gloss black), Ford... seems to be whatever was handy.

Steve g
05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
The back side of the fenders on my 67 442 were originally painted body color, and pretty much all over. They were painted off the car prior to assembly. Cowl sides and top were painted body color. Firewall was satin black. The firewall color varied by model and year. In a restoration it's good to take lots of before pictures. I thought I had plenty, but there's always a detail or two missing.

Steve g

gtome
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Yeah, the engine compartment is going to be a semi gloss black (cowl, rad support, inner fenders, etc..) But now im really worried about how this is going to turn out. Like I said we surely dont want to see red on the inner fender from the engine compartment, but also dont think we want to see black from the door side. A 2 tone inner fender may be the best option here....ugh!

CandyAppleRed
05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
When the door is installed won't the leading edge of the door cover that area as it's opened?

krafty
05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
So would the zero rust be a good temporary fix for cab corners on a 76 Chevy. The old paint is peeling and I am getting surface rust. I am look to top coat them until I get time to paint the whole vehicle. I just dont want them to rot away.

Len
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
So would the zero rust be a good temporary fix for cab corners on a 76 Chevy. The old paint is peeling and I am getting surface rust. I am look to top coat them until I get time to paint the whole vehicle. I just dont want them to rot away.

If the paint is peeling you will need to remove the paint to repair it properly but you could scuff and apply ZR to help protect the surface temporarily until you have time to do a proper repair.

gtome
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
When the door is installed won't the leading edge of the door cover that area as it's opened?

No not quite. I am just going to paint the first foot or so body color, and leave the rest black.