PDA

View Full Version : orbital buffer

TheCoatingStore.com

wyzat520
03-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Can anyone recommend a good orbital buffer? I want a good quality one thats going to last the years through a lot of work. I like the ones with the side handle like a regular rotary buffer not those vertical sears type ones... I saw makita had one but it was almost 300.00. Not totally opposed to paying that much but wanted to look around first.

Len
03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Can anyone recommend a good orbital buffer? I want a good quality one thats going to last the years through a lot of work. I like the ones with the side handle like a regular rotary buffer not those vertical sears type ones... I saw makita had one but it was almost 300.00. Not totally opposed to paying that much but wanted to look around first.

I've learned from Robert, our resident expert detailer, that orbital is one thing and "forced rotation" is another. The action of a forced rotation is great for taking out swirls while a random orbital does about the same thing but takes much longer and doesn't do the job as well. The Makita B6040 is the electric orbital that Robert uses and if he sees this thread I'm sure he'll chime in. I don't use or carry the B6040 yet so I can't comment on it's performance but I do carry the National Detroit that runs on air and has the same forced rotation action as the B6040.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/ND9900.jpg (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ND9900&Category_Code=T2)

wyzat520
03-29-2010, 06:37 PM
So forced rotation is better than random orbital is what youre saying? Does it feel and look similar to an orbital in the manner of which it actually spins? Ive never heard of a forced rotation buffer before. Ive got excellent results with an orbital id be thrilled to give something better than that a try.

Len
03-29-2010, 08:15 PM
So forced rotation is better than random orbital is what youre saying? Does it feel and look similar to an orbital in the manner of which it actually spins? Ive never heard of a forced rotation buffer before. Ive got excellent results with an orbital id be thrilled to give something better than that a try.

The forced rotation is a lot better because the pressure on the pad doesn't stop the action like it does on a random orbital. When you say "orbital" are you talking about a buffer like the Makita with a rotary pad? A forced rotation is similar except that the pad is rotating and going back and forth at the same time driven in BOTH direction by gears while a random orbital spins freely and doesn't cut like a forced rotation machine.

wyzat520
03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
hmmm when i say orbital i mean like a DA basically.

Len
03-29-2010, 11:13 PM
hmmm when i say orbital i mean like a DA basically.

A DA is random orbital and isn't a forced rotation, it spins freely while a forced rotation won't spin freely. DA actually stands for Duel Action which is around and side to side and while a "forced rotation" machine has a duel action it won't spin freely because the action is locked into the rotation. When you turn the pad the mechanism will go around AND side to side but when you rotate a random orbital it just spins.

Henry
03-30-2010, 01:02 AM

Robert has said on this forum and on his Detailing DVD that if he had to pick ONLY ONE from the Makita 9227c buffer or the Makita B6040, he would choose the B6040.
Since he does detailing on million dollar show cars for a living, I trust what he says.

Send him a PM if he doesn't chime in unless you have enough information. Keep us posted. Henry

Robert
03-30-2010, 08:33 AM

There are times when there's a clear winner and this is one of them. A random orbital will get the job done - in three or four times as long.

If you look at my swirl removal link (http://autobodystore.com/swirl_removal.shtml) you can see what the Makita can do.

There is almost no detailing problem you can't handle with just the BO6040. You can use wool pads on it to make for the most aggressive cut all the way up to black foam for applying wax.

If you were in Southern California I'd suggest you come to one of the shops where I work to see the machine in action but since that may be a problem let me suggest my very informative and compelling video. :super:

Robert