PDA

View Full Version : Does flexibilizer play a role in sand scratches?

TheCoatingStore.com

keith5064
03-14-2010, 10:50 AM
think i added a little to much flex additive to my clear, it took awhile to dry, now i have a part that i first sanded with 1500 then 2000. I'm having a heck of time getting all the scratches out. im using a 3" mini buffer.

200horse
03-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I have never used flex in any clear. I do not think the clears of today need any

keith5064
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I've heard that some of the higher end clears you don't need the additive but I'm using nason 496 and I'm painting plastic so I figured I'd use it, the tech sheet says it slows the drying time but by adding a little too much I don't know if that would have any effect on cutting and buffing its been about 3 days since I've painted but the shop gets to the mid 40's to 50's at night

Len
03-14-2010, 11:02 PM
I have never used flex in any clear. I do not think the clears of today need any

Depending on the products you're using the clear can be the MOST brittle of all urethane products, color pigment can tend to make paint more flexible. When urethane is first applied it's usually somewhat flexible for about a week but then it tightens up and can become quite brittle. Even when flex additive is used in some products it can become less flexible over time but when using high quality urethane with high quality flex it will usually remain flexible. It's usually not worth the risk to go without flex additive but it does extend the time that dust can effect the wet paint and it will take longer before the painted surface can be handled.

I've heard that some of the higher end clears you don't need the additive but I'm using nason 496 and I'm painting plastic so I figured I'd use it, the tech sheet says it slows the drying time but by adding a little too much I don't know if that would have any effect on cutting and buffing its been about 3 days since I've painted but the shop gets to the mid 40's to 50's at night

Yes, some clear is more flexible than others but, when you paint flexible plastic, it's better to add flex additive than not IF the project is worth the effort. Buffing can be made quite difficult by adding flex additive and I learned that by sanding my paint then allowing the flexed coating to harden. The only thing I found that made it easier to polish was using an electrified sheepskin buffing pad that will polish the surface much faster and easier than a standard wool pad. I didn't believe it until I tried it. Thanks for the tip Robert.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/sf75-327.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SF75-327a&Category_Code=T2)