PDA

View Full Version : color sanding

TheCoatingStore.com

buicfrank
03-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Car an older car (68) be color sanded and buffed? Just trying to get the old color to look better. Thanks Frank

Len
03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Car an older car (68) be color sanded and buffed? Just trying to get the old color to look better. Thanks Frank

Yes, most paint can be sanded and polished but you need to be careful not to remove too much paint or you could buff through to the primer especially on the peaks and panel edges.

Henry
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM

BEFORE you get going to possible ruin of a paintjob, how old is this paint, is it factory and on what car? And, what color is it?

I would NOT sand the car but rather clean the paint well and buff it. I have done this with Sure Finish on OEM paint to bring the paint equal to the new panels I painted. You need some decent paint hidden to do this but I do it all the time. NO NEED TO sand; just looking for trouble.

If the paint is dirty from sitting a long time, what I do is spray the panels (only a couple at a time) from the BOTTOM with Wesley's BLECHE WHITE. With a wet wrong out sponge I then scrub the surface from the bottom working up. DO NOT get the surface wet with water or the Bleche White will not do what you want it to do. You will see some CLEAN paint come back to life in the process.
Have a bucket of water available and after one or two panels (on the sides) rinse your spong and go over the same area just to wipe off the soap and grime.
Do this to the sides first, then the decklid, hood and roof. Then hose down the car and wash with a good car wash. Once dry, Buff your very clean paint for a nice shine.

IF YOU DO THIS to a WHITE CAR that has been sitting for years outside with green mold and all that grime from year of sitting, you WILL NOT BELIEVE YOUR EYES with the results. Will look like a new paintjob. Keep us posted. Henry