PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Trizact

TheCoatingStore.com

Dennis_101
03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
I have been colour sanding with finishing film but i would like to try 1500 trizact, as i am currently having a nightmare with pigtails, but living in the UK this product does not seem to be available, does anyone know of a UK source.

Len
03-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I have been colour sanding with finishing film but i would like to try 1500 trizact, as i am currently having a nightmare with pigtails, but living in the UK this product does not seem to be available, does anyone know of a UK source.

I don't know of a UK source but if you don't find one I can mail them to you. Be sure to get the standard hook and loop disks so that you don't need a different pad or conversion pad.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/3m2088.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3M2088&Category_Code=M3)

Dennis_101
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks Len i will take you up on that if i am unable to find a source closer to home, i have been looking for a while, so that option seems likely.

divinity
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Since Len had mentioned that the Trizact last much longer than the finishing film, would it be better to use the Trizact 1500 damped, instead of burning thru all the 1500 finishing film?

I know the only draw back to this would be you will not be able to see your progress using Trizact wet.

Thanks.

Dennis_101
03-09-2010, 01:59 PM
I have today managed to get some 1500 clear coat discs, so could not wait to try them, i used a mac tools DA with a 3/16 orbit, used the 1500 wet then 3000 trizact wet, then proceeded to buff, thats when i discovered the huge bonnet was now covered in pigtails, looks to me like they were from the 1500, 3000 didnt stand a chance of removing them, these only showed when starting to buff all looked good until then.

Clear coat was applied a week ago and was baked as per tech sheet.

Clearly i must be doing something wrong as so many of you praise these discs, can anyone help.

divinity
03-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I think the problem is in the D/A, it should be 3/32 when running 1500. Also, an interface pad is needed.

even though, that's exactly what I did, I got some pigtails too. But I didn't use 2k primer prior, so I cannot tell if the pigtails are from the 1500grit or it is under the basecoat.

Lets wait for an expert to confirm this.

Bob K
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I am one of those that love the Trizact Clear Coat sanding discs and I have never had the problem you are describing. I do use mine wet, not damp. I use quite a lot of water. I work with my Airvantage in one hand and a large sponge on the panel above the sander letting a constant stream of water bathe the area I sand. I do this to wash away any contaminants that could get on the disc. If you get something on the disc, that particle of what ever will scratch the finish. I pull a squeegee over the sanded area to view my progress every minute or two until I get a feel how itís going.

On some posts a few weeks ago I saw someone complaining of high spots on the Trizact discs that they removed with a sharp steel blade. That sounds like a manufacturing defect on some of the discs. I have not seen that on my discs. They said you could feel the high spots on new discs but they could be removed by scraping the disc with the sharp blade while it was on a hard surface.

Hope that helps.

Bob K

Dennis_101
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I have a new DA with a 3/32 orbit coming this week so will try that.

I only had the 1500 wet but not very wet, tried to use it like the 3000, it might be i never had the area i was working clean enough, it was a horizontal surface so contaminants did not flow away that well, i did keep running over them, will try more water and keep it cleaner.

Dennis_101
03-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks to all for your help, your advice has resolved the problem, i am now using a 3/32 orbit DA & plenty of water, today i managed to remove all my previous pigtails without adding to the problem.

Robert
03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I am one of those that love the Trizact Clear Coat sanding discs and I have never had the problem you are describing. I do use mine wet, not damp. I use quite a lot of water. I work with my Airvantage in one hand and a large sponge on the panel above the sander letting a constant stream of water bathe the area I sand. I do this to wash away any contaminants that could get on the disc. If you get something on the disc, that particle of what ever will scratch the finish. I pull a squeegee over the sanded area to view my progress every minute or two until I get a feel how itís going.

On some posts a few weeks ago I saw someone complaining of high spots on the Trizact discs that they removed with a sharp steel blade. That sounds like a manufacturing defect on some of the discs. I have not seen that on my discs. They said you could feel the high spots on new discs but they could be removed by scraping the disc with the sharp blade while it was on a hard surface.

Hope that helps.

Bob K

Have you tried scrapping the 1500. The difference in feel isn't subtle and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the cutting action when the pad hits the paint. I was having a problem with the scratches showing back up after the buff before I started doing that. My thinking was that there must be some pin type abrasive sticking up, slicing into the paint rather than cutting along with the rest of the grit. That's why I started doing that. In the olden days we used to run our new sandpaper against the worn out sandpaper before using it to get a more consistent cut.

Robert

Bob K
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I got my discs about a year ago, maybe since then there has been something going on at the manufacturing end that put something on some of the discs that caused a problem. Mine all seem great. Next time I use one I will scrape it over masking paper and see if something comes off, but I think it would be hard to improve on the original. I donít do enough painting to rack up a lot of experience though. Only two paint jobs since November and one was a trailer that I didnít polish.

Bob K

joe3126
04-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I use 1500 dry with an interface pad, check my work then 3000+interface pad with a spray bottle just a couple drops of soap. 1500 dry levels fast and you can see your progress very well dry. Keep the da level DO NOT PUT IT ON EDGE. Thats how the pig tails form. 3m 3/32 da

Len
04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I use 1500 dry with an interface pad, check my work then 3000+interface pad with a spray bottle just a couple drops of soap. 1500 dry levels fast and you can see your progress very well dry. Keep the da level DO NOT PUT IT ON EDGE. Thats how the pig tails form. 3m 3/32 da

That's excellent advice and FYI the 3M Palm Sander (DA) is the AirVantage that has been private labeled by 3M. Great sander but less expensive in the AirVantage form.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/avnon.jpg
AirVantage Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AVS61100S&Category_Code=T)