PDA

View Full Version : Cross Contamination !!!!

TheCoatingStore.com

Henry
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Thoought I would share what happened to me making PRODUCTS seem to NOT work. This is a word of CAUTION to anyone out there.

I sanded a new paintjob. Was using PRESTA products but just received the new TRUE FINISH now known as SURE FINISH. Thought I would do a comparison of both products by doing half the car with each. WRONG.......

Like a dummy, what I set out to do had merit but I screwed up by using the SAME WOOL PAD. I got cross contamination once the products mixed in the pad rendering the Sure Finish to APPEAR not to work as well as my Presta (started first with the Presta).

A week later and with a new pad, I tried the SURE FINISH (True Finish) again and got to realize just how good the product was. Same was true for the foam pad.

MORAL to all this is for those of you, like me, wanting to experiment be forewarned that the chemical makeup of one product may and is not the same as another leading to false results of your testing.

It's easy to knock one product over another be it polish, compound or motor oil if used incorrectly. Thought I would share this as I made a nice mess for myself and was unsure of what actually went wrong. Henry

Robert
02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
When I test products one of the things I hate is having to keep all the pads separate. I can go through a dozen pads of each kind in a day. Not cheap. But at least I can wash them out and re-use them if the product isn't just freakishly awful.

All the best,
Robert

88GT
02-19-2010, 04:55 PM
My jobber carries a brand Dennis mentioned here..starts with an F I think. Id like to give that stuff a whirl when my 3M is gone

recoatlift
02-22-2010, 08:57 PM
My jobber carries a brand Dennis mentioned here..starts with an F I think. Id like to give that stuff a whirl when my 3M is gone

i've used 'farecla.' it's waterbased. i used the compound 'total' & finish off with the 'g10' swirl remover. i keep a spray bottle of water & spritz the area i'm working. i like the stuff. try their web site, i think it's just farecla.com. good luck!

tech69
02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't detail much but love it cause you're the first one to see the real shine and you help create it and paint jobs are beautiful. Anyhow, I even keep my microfiber's separate. Nothing touches anything other than one material.

wyzat520
02-23-2010, 08:18 AM
The farecla is good stuff. Its expensive though isnt it? I used it at work over the summer. I did the same thing with a water bottle it cleans up real nice and doesnt glob up. I used farcle for buffing and 3m perfectit for swirl remover/polishing on a DA buffer sprayed a little water over that to and got good results. Im the same way though I keep all my pads and towels seperate... I even change my apron when I change my product.... :D (kidding)