PDA

View Full Version : Zaino - ?

TheCoatingStore.com

Henry
02-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Len, we don't hear much about this stuff anymore.

Robert, wanna chime in on this stuff?

Thanks. Henry

88GT
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
whats to be said about it? Its rediculously expensive.

BRP
02-16-2010, 12:47 PM
WOW, now there's a name from the dim dark distant past......

LS6
02-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Len, we don't hear much about this stuff anymore.

Robert, wanna chime in on this stuff?

Thanks. Henry

He's still around.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
LS6

Rollinsmoke
02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Is the stuff any good?

88GT
02-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Is the stuff any good?

sure it is. is it worth the money? not in my opinion

Len
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Is the stuff any good?

It's very good but it is expensive. If your car and it's finish is worth it then it's worth using a "good" product and Zaino is a good product.

jwd
02-18-2010, 10:46 PM
sure it is. is it worth the money? not in my opinion

I agree. When I bought my new Corvette, I bought into the whole "Zaino" B.S. I spent well over $100 and a whole day doing all their steps I ended up with the same as if I did a 2 step system with Meguiars (clay bar and NXT). The nice thing is I sold all the Zaino stuff on E-Bay and got some of my money back.

LS6
02-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Is the stuff any good?

I've found that Zaino seems to have much better durability than waxes. Does it shine any better? It's a subjective thing. My opinion would be that a good quality carnuba wax probably will slightly outshine the Zaino, but won't protect and last nearly as long as the Zaino.

Zaino will have a slight tendency to smear on black or red cars, unless you use the catalyst that he sells. The extra catalyst is what drives the price up. Personally, what I do is use Menzerna FMJ polymer first and then I use Zaino Z6 detailer next. Menzerna also makes a detailer, but I find it streaks significantly.
Both the Menzerna and the Zaino are polymer products.
My car is black and will show streaks easily. So, I take the best of both products by using the FMJ first and then using the Zaino Z6 over top of the FMJ. It works for me.

As for the true definition of shine, I think we all here on the ABS realize that the most important step to achieving that showcar shine is in the compound and polishing stage that is done way before the waxing or polymer stage of final shine and protection. If you haven't removed the blemishes by then, you'll never have a showcar shine.

The Zaino product that is supposed to remove and / or hide scratches is pure bullshit. It is not an abrasive. If you want to get rid of any scratch, no matter how trivial, you must use some form of abrasive. That's just the way it is. Abrasives come in different grades of grit and we all have our favorite combinations.

By the way, I have not tried the newest product made by Zaino, so I can't comment on that one. However, I'm pretty sure it'll be a good product.
Just my 2 cents.
LS6 :)

Robert
02-19-2010, 12:21 PM
One of the things I do when I'm working for someone and I've got the car ready to wax is, I say, "Let me ask you a trick question. What do you think of that wax job?" Of course, there's no wax on the car, that's what makes it a trick question.

The difference between waxed and not waxed isn't that much. http://autobodystore.com/P1010045.jpg

http://autobodystore.com/P1010047.jpg

Lately, I've been using Hi-lustre sealants and waxes. There are a bunch of good ones out there but these work well and are easy. The car I did for the National Roadster show called "Mercules" won best paint and 4 other awards so I know my work compares favorably with other top end guys.

The bottom line is: Get the paint right before you wax it then find something that won't take you backwards. Hi-Lustre works for me.

LS6
02-19-2010, 05:43 PM
The bottom line is: Get the paint right before you wax it then find something that won't take you backwards. Hi-Lustre works for me.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!
That's the real secret. If your final polishing and swirl removing step is on the money, you can then use a wax or a polymer for protection, but you're not going to achieve a much improved shine over a well done final polishing procedure.

If you have removed all of the peel with your recently painted substrate, you shouldn't have to use an aggressive compound. If you use the right pad procedure and a very fine grit polish like Sure - Finish or Menzerna Intensive polish, the gloss will be right where you want it.

You can then use whatever you wish for protection.
LS6

LS6
02-19-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

LS6

88GT
02-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree with Robert. Good paint work doesnt need anything more than some good upkeep. I'll use anything that has carnuba. But, I rarely wax my cars, and I never wax my paint work so I rarely have a need for any wax.

LS6
02-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with Robert. Good paint work doesnt need anything more than some good upkeep. I'll use anything that has carnuba. But, I rarely wax my cars, and I never wax my paint work so I rarely have a need for any wax.

http://www.gurureports.org " Guru Reports " tested 46 waxes and / or polymers; and in the carnuba category rated Collinite Super double coat as the #1 carnuba. However, it's a bear to rub off compared to many other waxes. I believe Guru also rated Eagle One pure carnuba as the #1 wax in the economy category. This one is much easier than the Collinite to apply and rub off. They said that the Eagle One pure carnuba was easily the best value for the money and is readily available at local auto stores across the country.

Unfortunately, the " Wax Report " is no longer available and was conducted around 5 or 6 years ago.
Below is a listing of the products that they tested. Take notice of the " Lemon Pledge " ( just for fun )
That product would actually give a " well cared for " automobile surface a decent shine, but wouldn't last at all, and would streak. However, at a time when there were no good spray detail products around, Pledge was a quick fix, when you needed a shiny car on date night.

The 46 Waxes Evaluated in the Wax Test Special Report
3M Perfect IT Show Car Paste Armor All Protective Barrier BlackFire
Blitz One Grand Collinite Marque D'Elegance Collinite Super Doublecoat
Eagle One Pure Carnauba Eagle One WET Polish & Wax Finish First World Class Auto Polish
Formula 113 Gliptone Original Carnauba Paste Gliptone Platinum Series Paste
Griot's Garage Best of Show Griot's Garage Carnauba Wax Kit Carnauba Paste
Klasse All-In-One & Sealant Glaze Lemon Pledge (just for fun) Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
Malm's Carnauba Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax Meguiar's #19 Professional Cleaner/Wax
Meguiar's #26 High-Tech Meguiar's Gold Class Meguiar's Medallion
Meguiar's Quik Wax Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba
Nu Finish P21S Concour Look Carnauba Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnauba
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Prestone Bullet Wax Race Glaze
Rain Dance Premium Rally Cream Wax The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
Turtle Wax Emerald Series Turtle Wax Extreme Cleaner Wax Turtle Wax Finish 2001
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Wizards Shine Master Zaino Brothers Show Car Polish
Zymol Carbon Carnauba Zymol Concours Carnauba Zymol SUV (Zurtle) Natural Liquid
Zymol Titanium Carnauba

I also agree with Robert, that if a car is properly prepared with good polishing products and good polishing techniques, wax is not really needed. The difference is minimal, but if a car sleeps outside, then the extra step would provide protection from the elements.
LS6 :)

Robert
02-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Wax companies make a lot of claims about what their products will do but I'm skeptical about most of them. I can't see how a wax could be applied over modern paint that would be harder than the paint or block UV better than the paint. I can see it blocking oxygen and maybe changing the reactivity of the paint to various contaminants but the thing I think wax does for paint that's most important is make it slicker.

Having wax on the car makes dirt and debris slide off the paint better without biting into it. It keeps scratches down, and of course, some waxes fill scratches which is a good thing if the car you're working on doesn't have enough paint on it to make cutting the scratches out an option.

Robert

LS6
02-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Wax companies make a lot of claims about what their products will do but I'm skeptical about most of them. I can't see how a wax could be applied over modern paint that would be harder than the paint or block UV better than the paint. I can see it blocking oxygen and maybe changing the reactivity of the paint to various contaminants but the thing I think wax does for paint that's most important is make it slicker.

Having wax on the car makes dirt and debris slide off the paint better without biting into it. It keeps scratches down, and of course, some waxes fill scratches which is a good thing if the car you're working on doesn't have enough paint on it to make cutting the scratches out an option.

Robert

Robert,
I believe that a carnuba will offer a little more added protection, but not for very long. Leave the car out in the hot summer sun, and I suspect most of it will melt off rather quickly.

I went looking for my old copy of the " Guru Wax Report " pamphlet, but I couldn't find it. So, I decided to have a look on ebay to see if there was one on there. I really didn't expect to find one, but there is one for sale. Keep in mind that it's a 4 or 5 page pamphlet that originally cost around $10.00.
The seller is asking $49.00 for this old copy.

You really can find almost anything on ebay.
LS6 8o