PDA

View Full Version : Three important aspects of a good looking vehicle.

TheCoatingStore.com

admin
02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
After the painting is finished you can let the car ride with a "less than perfect" paint job or you can use the paint as a springboard to a beautiful finish.

Color sanding is the process that levels any runs, orange peel, dust nibs etc. and gives you a dull but level surface.

Polishing is the work needed to make a dull finish like glass using the right tools, materials and techniques.

Detailing is making and keeping the vehicle looking better than new.

We will be posting questions, answers and tips that address these three important parts of any vehicle's appearance.

88GT
02-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Yessir, I cut and polish almost all my paint. Not bumper covers normally because they come out better than factory anyway.

Len
02-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Yessir, I cut and polish almost all my paint. Not bumper covers normally because they come out better than factory anyway.

If you use a flex additive it will extend the flowing out of the paint so much that it normally doesn't need polishing. I was having a problem on a hot Summer day and my clear was not going to flow so I mixed in a little flex additive thinking it would help. Well I still needed to sand and polish in order to get it smooth but the flex additive made it VERY difficult to polish out the sand scratches. That's when I called Robert and he told me about electrified sheepskin buffing pads. I always thought that these pads were for removing swirls but when I used it on this very difficult buff job this pad made quick work out of it. Great tool to keep on hand.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/sf75-327.jpg
Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SF75-327a&Category_Code=T2)

88GT
02-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I wonder if that pad would also make an easy buff job even easier :)

Hot Rod Mike
02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Len;127661] "electrified sheepskin buffing pads" .

OK, it's too early for April Fool's jokes, so I gotta ask about these pads & how does electrifying the pad help in the polishing effort ? I don't recall this on Robert's detailing video.

Thanks,
Mike :?

Primal
03-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Detailing to me is stuff like all correct clips numbers paint colors etc on a car so that it looks like it did new.

paint well if its the correct color of car(which is your colorblind like me you can see in 2 secs flat) thats all that really matters. If it holds a shine and has not polishing or other marks you get alot more points than one that in sunlight looks like a old cutting board.

Specifiying terms depends on what part of the car industry your in.

Len
03-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Detailing to me is stuff like all correct clips numbers paint colors etc on a car so that it looks like it did new.

paint well if its the correct color of car(which is your colorblind like me you can see in 2 secs flat) thats all that really matters. If it holds a shine and has not polishing or other marks you get alot more points than one that in sunlight looks like a old cutting board.

Specifiying terms depends on what part of the car industry your in.

Detailing may be one thing to you but in the car business it's usually referring to cleaning and polishing. Show points usually refers to a thousand different variables from matching numbers to overall condition to detailing.

Len
03-12-2010, 02:07 PM

OK, it's too early for April Fool's jokes, so I gotta ask about these pads & how does electrifying the pad help in the polishing effort ? I don't recall this on Robert's detailing video.

Thanks,

Sorry Mike, I missed this post when you posted it. This pad cuts really fast and it's not something that is necessarily commonly used. If you have a difficult buffing project it can help to have one of these on hand.

Primal
03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Detailing may be one thing to you but in the car business it's usually referring to cleaning and polishing. Show points usually refers to a thousand different variables from matching numbers to overall condition to detailing.

car business would refer only to car dealerships where clean and polished paint would matter.

Like i said before specifying changes with what part of car industry your in. Youll find that out in a few years.

tech69
03-12-2010, 09:03 PM
a couple more important aspects of a good looking car.

Prepping, particularly bodylines and ensuring even the smallest planes are blocked out good.

Perfect hoods, gaps, and good metal working all around. Now matter if it's show or driver resto. That hood better be perfect! No sharp pic smashing what should be fixed from underneith. Good flex and rigidity in your hood.

Good seam sealing for cars like the 32 ford coupe where the seam seals are right in your face.

Len
03-12-2010, 10:16 PM
car business would refer only to car dealerships where clean and polished paint would matter.

Like i said before specifying changes with what part of car industry your in. Youll find that out in a few years.

And what do you think will bring about me finding out? Age? Experience?
I've been in this business for 45 years and I've turned out a thousand show cars.
So tell me what and how I'll learn about the concept of detailing.

Len
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
a couple more important aspects of a good looking car.

Prepping, particularly bodylines and ensuring even the smallest planes are blocked out good.

Perfect hoods, gaps, and good metal working all around. Now matter if it's show or driver resto. That hood better be perfect! No sharp pic smashing what should be fixed from underneith. Good flex and rigidity in your hood.

Good seam sealing for cars like the 32 ford coupe where the seam seals are right in your face.

There's a difference between details and detailing. You're talking about details and they can be located in ANY job that you do. You can make a carrier out of detailing cars, just ask Robert.

tech69
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
certainly. I had forgotten this section was for finishing. I was more or less thinking of the buff stage as an essential piece along with what I mentioned. I recall seeing some AMAZING pics Robert did to an Orange Vw I think??? Oh man, that thing looked liked a mirror! I read the captions for the pics too. True good work comes from pride and a love for what you do. I truly believe that and that's a trait of Robert's...respect!

LS6
03-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks,

Here is an explanation from the company who makes the sheepskin buffing pads.

This is directly from our source:

Sheepskin Electrification stems from the conversion process of the tanned hyde. Depending on the type and purpose of the wool, the hair fibers are subjected to a very hot, fast spinning horizontal drum to which the fibers come into contact with. This process develops a minute amount of electricity, small "lightning bolts" which straighten and stretch the hyde along with it's fibers. It is then trimmed to the customers specifications. the result is a straight and soft fiber suitable for polishing freshly painted surfaces.

Scott

Scott S. McLain
Vice President
Marketing & Product Development
Lake Country Manufacturing, Inc.
scott@lakecountrymfg.com
(262)367-8395
LS6

Robert
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks Tech.

One of the other nice things about that pad is there's very little shedding when you first use it. Getting a twisted wool pad into shape to use usually ends up with me looking like a lost a fight with f****ing sheep. I even bought a pad washer just to use for new pads and there's still too much shedding. Though, every once in awhile I want that little bit extra cut so I have to put up with it.

The other advantage of the flat pad is, it can be run really close to edges since the backing plate defines where the cutting stops unlike with the twisted wool that have a firmer backing.

Robert