PDA

View Full Version : results

Spanky
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
I hang out here reading all the time stealing info, occasionally posting. Finally got the car done. Thanks to all on here. I'll call it a 6 footer. Due to some dirt in the color and a couple areas in the blocking prep that a pro would have done better. Truth is, I got got tired of spending every weekend sanding and just wanted to drive the car. Anyway THANKS again.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt238/XXXJack/paint009.jpg

Len
10-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Wow! It sure looks great from here.

When painting a fiberglass car (or anything plastic) it's difficult to get it real clean because the air passing over the surface tends to generate a static charge that makes the dust cling to the surface. If you only had a little dust you're lucky.

Joseph
10-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Spanky, I'm in the same boat as you. If I wind up with a six-footer, I'll be pretty happy. I'm trying to wind up with a one-footer but one thing I've learned is that as a novice in less-than-ideal conditions, you just have too much working against you. Your car looks great. Mine's going to be a daily driver, so I'll expect some dings here and there. I would like it to start out as perfect as I can get it, so I hang out here and steal info too. And I seldom say thanks. So thank you to Len and all the others who are so generous with information and advice. At the moment I happen to be sanding out some runs with tools and knowledge I got on this forum and it's going really well. They disappear slowly but they do disappear.

Spanky
10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow! It sure looks great from here.

When painting a fiberglass car (or anything plastic) it's difficult to get it real clean because the air passing over the surface tends to generate a static charge that makes the dust cling to the surface. If you only had a little dust you're lucky.

Thanks Len. I dont think its a static problem. Just diidnt get the paint room clean enough. Purely my mistake. Real car guys could pick the car apart with flaws. The average observer thinks its great. I am just satisfied, not thrilled with it. What I am thrilled about is, having it together and driving it.:D

Joseph, good luck with yours. I hope you have a better starting point than me. This was a big undertaking for a rookie like me.

Joseph
10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
I've never posted pictures of what my car looked like when I started but it was really rough. In fact, it was on its way to the crusher when I asked my neighbor if I could have it. For probably three or so years, all I read about on this forum was rust repair and welding. I've learned more than I could ever say right here on this site. And by doing, of course. Because there's nothing like hitting the trigger on your MIG and watching a big chunk of sheet metal blow off. And then realizing that the dark visor that slides up and down is there for a reason.

tbm3fan
10-13-2009, 06:47 PM
I think the key is in keeping your perspective. If you are a first timer than your expectations should be set lower and you'll likely end up happier. If you are a pro then you set them higher because that is what would make you happy and satisfied. I haven't painted since 1990 and when I look back at that car, in the garage, and compare it to my truck in progress I can see I have made progress.

Some dust was inevitable and some wasn't as it was my fault. Color sanding with discs pretty much took care of that. Orange peel was an issue due to high temperatures speeding up my flash time before the paint could flow completely. I learned and now use an even slower reducer. Once again the color sanding disc brought it down to a decent level where I was happy with what was left. Painting also showed me a few subtle body flaws that I missed which I will strive to spot early on next time. I can spot the flaws from maybe 1-3 feet away as I know where they are but that is not going to ruin my day. This is a 65 truck that I want to look nice but show quality doesn't concern me since Ford didn't paint them that way.

One thing that does burn me up a little though. The hood was wimbledon white and the fenders holly green. On color sanding one tiny spot showed up on the hood and each fender. On the hood the spot was black and on the fenders it was white. Had to be contrasting colors didn't it! Now that irritated me a little :confused: :mad:

ps: your vette looks good to me and I am not a Chevy guy:rolleyes:

Spanky
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
tbm3fan, thanks for your input. Another truth is, I really need to go over the car with the buffer one more time but I have a fear that I will cut through and screw up bad. Sometimes I try too hard and make mistakes. This car is a daily driver/Saturday bracket racer so its going to get chips and scratches anyway so I may just leave it as is. I get a lot of good comments as is and I'm having fun driving it, you know ?? Good luck with that Ford.

another2centsworth
10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice Ride.:cool:
Know what you mean on the wanting to drive it thing!!
PS I have an 89 vette ready to wet sand and tape.