PDA

View Full Version : How long can you have primer on before rust?

Total_Package
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
1.) My questions are, how long can I keep the car primered before paint (OMNI surface primer)?
2.) If rain has came into contact with the car a few times (without anything covering it), should I be worried that rust is developing under the primer? Even tho I cant see this rust?

I know its a stupid question, but I remembered one of the guys at the body store told me that I can have my car primered after being stripped for like 8 months until I am going to have to start worrying about rust coming out (if the car is outside, not in a garage).
Today, this other guy at the same body store told me a different story that has me worried.

Len
10-09-2009, 05:59 PM
1.) My questions are, how long can I keep the car primered before paint (OMNI surface primer)?

That will depend on the amount of primer and the quality of the primer. Epoxy primer works well to seal the metal from moisture but other types of primer will also work for quite a while.

2.) If rain has came into contact with the car a few times (without anything covering it), should I be worried that rust is developing under the primer? Even tho I cant see this rust?

It may be better to leave the car uncovered because the cover tends to trap the moisture against the car. The best type of cover is one that will allow the surface to breath and dry.

Total_Package
10-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah your right about the tarp thing.
So even though its going to snow, your saying to leave it without a tarp?

I guess what i will do is I will wait until this coming summer, strip it (again), apply some anti rust spray on it and than re-primer. Im going to have to spend maybe $90 bucks on doing this again but its better than having to waste $350 bucks on paint and renting a booth and end up having a project that rusts under the paint in 2 years.
Len, do you recommend me to stay with Picklex 20 and spray it around the stripped parts?

This time I wont be a moron. I'll strip panel by panel, spray some type of anti rust, primer and so on.