PDA

View Full Version : Blending an old spot repair

Choppers_rule
09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm painting my first car and have never blend a paint in my life before.
I had a spot repair in a couple of spots but didn't blend the base/ clear.
Now I can see the edge between the new clear and old clear even after wet sand them w/ 1500 grit.

My question is:
Can I just spray "blending reducer" over the edge of the old clear coat (I spot painted last week) to blend it?
I'm trying not to re clear the repair if I don;t have to:o

Len
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm painting my first car and have never blend a paint in my life before.
I had a spot repair in a couple of spots but didn't blend the base/ clear.
Now I can see the edge between the new clear and old clear even after wet sand them w/ 1500 grit.

My question is:
Can I just spray "blending reducer" over the edge of the old clear coat (I spot painted last week) to blend it?
I'm trying not to re clear the repair if I don;t have to:o

Reducer won't do anything, the least you can do is reclear and, if you sanded through to the color you will need to re-apply the base then reclear.

Len
09-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Proper prep and clear application is essential if you don't want to end up in the same situation. Be sure to have 1500 scratches go BEYOND where the surface will be painted. Once the clear is applied and blended be sure to immediatedly DUST the edge with slow reducer while the clear is still wet.

Roch_Greg
09-29-2009, 12:28 PM
My un-educated guess would be that you won't be able to do what your asking. Since you didn't state it in your post I'm guessing you didn't use a blending agent when you attempted the spot repair.

Blending agents are meant to react with the solvents of the fresh clear which was just laid. Their purpose is to "melt" the new clear into the old so you don't have the issues you got. Even with the proper use it's a art to get it just right.

If you didn't use any before I'm guessing you'll have to sand down the panel and either try spotting the clear (using a blending agent this time) or re-clear the entire panel.

If the panel isn't hard to mask from the rest of the vehicle I'd just re-clear the whole panel and be done with it.

GregY

Choppers_rule
09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately, the spot repairs are on the roof between the winshield and the sun roof. Another one is on the quarter panel, so I can't reclear the whole panel:mad:

I will reshoot the clear then blend. This is going to be my first blending job.....I'm pretty scared right now:pray:

Thank you all!

Len
09-29-2009, 01:05 PM
When you dust on the reducer it will look dull but don't over apply it or it will cause the clear to move and create more problems. Don't forget to allow the clear to FULLY CURE before you sand and polish. Angle the gun so that the over spray goes back over the repair and not so much out onto the rest of the panel.

Choppers_rule
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Got it Len, I'll try to fix it this weekend.
Thank you again!!

Len
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Got it Len, I'll try to fix it this weekend.
Thank you again!!

Next week about this time you should be able to buff if you can keep it in the sun. Let us know how it turns out.