PDA

View Full Version : Picklex 20 rust showing??

mazz
08-02-2009, 09:09 PM
I have been sandblasting, cleaning up & usind Picklex 20 for the first time, on a bunch of small & medium size parts for my car. After blasting, cleaning & using Picklex, I have immediately been putting all the parts in my finished basement while running my dehumidifier. Besides the Zinc like coating & a few white spot(which I have read is normal) I have also noticed what I can only say looks like light rust streaks in a few places on a few parts. I have been using the product according the the manufactures instructions. Spraying it on, working it in with a brush & or scotts bright pad, letting it sit for a couple of minutes & wiping off the excess. Is this normal, or am I using diluted Picklex or something(bought on Ebay) I have not read on the forum anything about these types of rust streaks & I wasn't expected them. Any thoughts..I just purchased more Picklex, but from this site..Am I putting it on too wet, leaving it to long?? Thanks John

Len
08-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I have been sandblasting, cleaning up & usind Picklex 20 for the first time, on a bunch of small & medium size parts for my car. After blasting, cleaning & using Picklex, I have immediately been putting all the parts in my finished basement while running my dehumidifier. Besides the Zinc like coating & a few white spot(which I have read is normal) I have also noticed what I can only say looks like light rust streaks in a few places on a few parts. I have been using the product according the the manufactures instructions. Spraying it on, working it in with a brush & or scotts bright pad, letting it sit for a couple of minutes & wiping off the excess. Is this normal, or am I using diluted Picklex or something(bought on Ebay) I have not read on the forum anything about these types of rust streaks & I wasn't expected them. Any thoughts..I just purchased more Picklex, but from this site..Am I putting it on too wet, leaving it to long?? Thanks John

After sandblasting the residue can make Picklex coated metal look rusted. It's not rusted it's just discolored because of the interaction of the silica with the Picklex.

mazz
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks Len,I was hoping it was something stupid like that !!

Doug S
08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I too find this after blasting & Picklex. Should I remove these areas before epoxy priming?