PDA

View Full Version : picklex 20 and flash rust?

sniffaj
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
well its my first try at using picklex 20 and i was very impressed, the stuff worked great, i just sprayed it on then wiped it off after a minute or two and all the rust was gone. A few hours later I came back and the car was covered in flash rust. Anyone know whats going on here? I was thinking that maybe it was either me forgetting to shake the picklex gallon before use or i didnt wipe it dry enough. Has anyone had this happen before?

Len
07-30-2009, 04:55 PM
well its my first try at using picklex 20 and i was very impressed, the stuff worked great, i just sprayed it on then wiped it off after a minute or two and all the rust was gone. A few hours later I came back and the car was covered in flash rust. Anyone know whats going on here? I was thinking that maybe it was either me forgetting to shake the picklex gallon before use or i didnt wipe it dry enough. Has anyone had this happen before?

The only time I've seen this happen is when the surface was sandblasted and the residue of the blasting caused a brown discoloration. Could there have been some kind of contamination on the surface?

sniffaj
07-30-2009, 08:18 PM
actually in fact the car was just sandblasted the week prior. so this discolaration happens then with sandblasting? it looks so exactly like rust. thanks for the help. also has anyone had any luck with sherwin williams epoxys over picklex?

Len
07-30-2009, 08:39 PM
actually in fact the car was just sandblasted the week prior. so this discolaration happens then with sandblasting? it looks so exactly like rust. thanks for the help. also has anyone had any luck with sherwin williams epoxys over picklex?

If nobody here has had experience with SW then look up the primer's MSDS on the manufacturer's web site and make sure it doesn't contain ACID. If you don't find that then do a test panel by treating an area with Picklex, scuff and clean it then spray on a couple of wet coats of the epoxy primer. After the primer cures for a day or two apply some 2" tape and pull it off quickly. If their is going to be a problem the primer will most likely come off with the tape.