PDA

View Full Version : Best base coat gun out there .

Mooch
05-08-2006, 03:49 PM
What would you guys say is the best base coat gun out there ?

Cost does not factor in the answer. Mooch

kenc
05-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Harbor Freight purple gun ($12.99) with a 2.2 tip.
Ken.

pane2k
05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
i personally perfer sata.
I've tried devilbiss and im not too fond of them. I've heard hywata or however you spell it is good, but i have no experience with them.
Sata has never given me a reason to look elsewhere.
I use a Sata NR2000 for metallic bases and I use the Sata RP for non metallic bases and clear coat.

If cost isnt factored into the equation i dont think you'd be dissapointed with sata.

Good Luck with your choice.

barthmonster
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I've not used one, but studied this a lot. The best basecoat gun for pearls & metallics is the Iwata LPH-400 with the Purple (special) Basecoat Aircap ($99). Sprays at 8.5 psi and lays the pearls like nothing else...
But sure to check this out, even though I've never used one, JUST IN CASE I'm right...

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1518

Sid
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I'd have to say best gun I've used for base is my Sharpe Platnum 1.5 fluid tip and 2000 air cap. It lay's metalics out great and is very conservitive with the amount of paint it uses.

frostje
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
devillbiss plus gun is my fav. I used that purple gun from hf when I first started to paint. Good for painting primer or a kids wagon but not an auto, unless you like case of the uglies, just doesn't atomize properly, you get what you pay for. Len sells the durablock which I heard is better than the fl3. I would like to try one one of these days, I still love my plus gun. Had an Iwata w400-g with 1.4 tip. Good gun , very light, but still like my plus gun better, it's just what feels good to use. I also heard the lph400-lv with the purple cap trumps all basecoat guns. Thats what I would like to try maybe, if I had the money to waste.:)

Serge
05-08-2006, 11:45 PM
I love my Iwata guns, but for metalics I must confess that I thought the NR2000 did a better job...until I bought the purple cap for my guns. Putting the purple cap on a LPH400-LV gun transforms into a LVB which is their new basecoat gun. The good news its that if you already have a 400 LV then you just have to buy the cap. The job it does is like nothing you have seen before. I sprayed with many guns, but that set-up is something else. The fan is very wide and the atomisation absolutely incredible....and that at only 10 psi at the gun...

I tried the jet rp and still prefer my 400s, but dont get me wrong, the sata guns are outstanding...I have not tried the W-400-RP, Iwata's answer to the Jet RP since its just out and not on hand to try from the rep yet...but I will get my hands on it eventually...Anyway, I am of the opinion that the RP guns are good for clear coats and single stage urethanes/enamels...not for basecoats. I feel much more comfortable with an NR-2000 or a LPH-400 when spraying a silver or a gold metalic...

Just 2 cents...

Henry
05-08-2006, 11:45 PM
What would you guys say is the best base coat gun out there ?

Cost does not factor in the answer. Mooch
are you buying or just wondering? I'm sure you don't need another gun. What is your favorite of 2 that you have? Henry

Len
05-09-2006, 12:02 AM
It should be interesting to see how Sata's new Jet 3000 compares to other guns on the market. They come in both HVLP and RP models.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/satjet3000dig.jpg
Sata Store Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=3S)

Chris L
05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Mooch i love my sharpe platinum h.o. for base coats,i sprayed candies with it once and it worked great also.I have had mine probably 5 years now or longer and its easy to clean.Heck they might not even sell it now lol:rolleyes:

gtcway
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
It should be interesting to see how Sata's new Jet 3000 compares to other guns on the market. They come in both HVLP and RP models.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/satjet3000dig.jpg
Sata Store Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=3S)
Len, what happened? I thought Sata was going to stop allowing sales online. Did they change their mind?

Len
05-09-2006, 09:12 AM
No, Sata still is trying to stop INTERNET sales but I have a supplier that still sells them to me. I can't sell parts any longer but I can still sell a limited number of guns.

Dennis N. Schmidt
05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
I've got to back Serge on this one. I too got the purple cap for my LPH-400LV and it's a thing of beauty. I shoot base at a rediculous 6-7 PSIG at the gun with this setup and the uniformity is amazing. Iwata truly raised the bar with this one.

kenc
05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
devillbiss plus gun is my fav. I used that purple gun from hf when I first started to paint. Good for painting primer or a kids wagon but not an auto,

Yeh, I was kidding. :confused:

Kustomdog
05-17-2006, 10:54 AM
SATA SATA SAta.MIKE

CoolasIce
05-17-2006, 03:15 PM
found this spray gun
cat jaguar
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/CAT/CAT%20Jaguar%20300.htm

Has anyone ever heard of this company? :confused:

It says it has a special atomizing nozzle to produce the finest atomizing possible.

Isn't this the "Holy Grail" as far as paint guns are concerned? :rolleyes:

It uses high quality stainless steel needle and tip, which is suppose to last a lot longer than other types. The air cap is hardened aluminum too.
They have a 'Tech" series that uses the same special tip and nozzle but the gun body is cheaper, so is the price @ $178.00.
I am thinking of getting it.
What do you all think?

PS Does it matter if it is a HVLP or conventional?
Thanks.

mmooney84
05-17-2006, 05:04 PM
When Binks merged with Devilbiss some high ranking employees took the binks design and started a new company. Thats what Cat technologies is. They are good guns one of their guns is almost identical to the Binks M1-g which I have. There newest gun looks interesting, but I think I am just going to buy a devilbiss plus and use my M1-g for base.

Len
05-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I would recommend that you stick with the Plus gun, I haven't seen a Cat gun that comes close to it.

Henry
05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
They have a 'Tech" series that uses the same special tip and nozzle but the gun body is cheaper, so is the price @ $178.00.
I am thinking of getting it.
What do you all think?

PS Does it matter if it is a HVLP or conventional?
Thanks.
I think you're getting sucked in by a price you think is low from a new and basically unknown company. To add insult you came here to ask what style to get. Don't get me wrong, if you find a better deal take it but the STORE on this site contains equal guns with this board to support them. Shop wisely. Every time we think we get "such a deal" we ultimately find we either got what we paid for or not realistically what we needed for the job. Henry

Len
05-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I think you're getting sucked in by a price you think is low from a new and basically unknown company. To add insult you came here to ask what style to get. Don't get me wrong, if you find a better deal take it but the STORE on this site contains equal guns with this board to support them. Shop wisely. Every time we think we get "such a deal" we ultimately find we either got what we paid for or not realistically what we needed for the job. Henry

While I wasn't going to comment I must add that how can you know that a gun is so good if you don't know the difference between HVLP or conventional??

I'll tell you... HVLP is better for the DIYer because it's easier to handle while conventional allows you to move faster around the car in a production environment. HVLP guns tend to generate a little more orange peel while conventional guns tend to generate more overspray.

Henry
05-17-2006, 11:32 PM
HVLP guns tend to generate a little more orange peel while conventional guns tend to generate more overspray.
Len, I'm not sure I knew that HVLP can generate more peel than conventional. How big is the gap? Would a top shelf conventional lay out better than the same top shelf HVLP?
When I got into HVLP I just adjusted until I got the best I could get and for me that's limited to a good brand new factory paint with a sometimes little better. You have me thinking to buy another or clean up one of my better conventional guns again. Thanks. Henry

Len
05-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Len, I'm not sure I knew that HVLP can generate more peel than conventional. How big is the gap? Would a top shelf conventional lay out better than the same top shelf HVLP?
When I got into HVLP I just adjusted until I got the best I could get and for me that's limited to a good brand new factory paint with a sometimes little better. You have me thinking to buy another or clean up one of my better conventional guns again. Thanks. Henry

All things being equal like using a Sata Jet 3000 HVLP or a Sata Jet 3000 RP you'll find that the increased pressure at the air cap of the RP can break the paint up better but will also increase the density the pillow of air on the surface. This increased density causes the finer droplets to bounce off causing more overspray AND this pillow will tend to jump around more than the softer pillow generated by the lower pressure of the HVLP gun. So while the lower pressure may not break up the paint as well it will make the end result more consistent with less runs and dry spots.

When ever someone purchases an HVLP spray gun I recommend not going too cheap because it takes better engineering to make a decent low pressure gun. If you are making your decision based only on price I usually recommend sticking with conventional, they don't need to be as refined as HVLP guns.

isprayum
05-18-2006, 12:56 PM
well since nobodys mentioned MY favorite base gun, ill chime in. the NR2000 is my clear gun, but for base, Ill never give up my sata NR95. sprays perfect all day every day. A bit older, but never needs the kind of care that the 2000 requires.

although ive never held an iwata. might be something to ponder...

Len
05-18-2006, 05:39 PM
well since nobodys mentioned MY favorite base gun, ill chime in. the NR2000 is my clear gun, but for base, Ill never give up my sata NR95. sprays perfect all day every day. A bit older, but never needs the kind of care that the 2000 requires.

although ive never held an iwata. might be something to ponder...

What's the difference in care between the 2000 and the 95? I can't see there being that much difference.

CoolasIce
05-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Len, thanks for the info on the hvlp vs conventional.:)

I like to look for the lesser or completely unknown companies that sit in the shadows of the big companies and produce an equal gun at a lower price.
Part of the reason the big dogs charge so much for their products is that they have to pay for the advertising.
Maybe this gun is junk. Maybe it's new technology that will sweep the paint industry. I don't know. That's why I asked, , henry.

isprayum
05-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Len, ive found that for base, the 2000 cap gives a crappy pattern if its not 100% clean, and the nr95 can take serious abuse in the cleanliness dept. and still spray perfect. not a big deal if its only being used once or twice a day, but for me, my guns get lots of daily use. more than most.

and for wanker, concerning the last post, Sata is superior in every way to any gun cheaper, with few exceptions. theres no reason to knock someones decision to buy a fine product for all the right reasons. not just to sleep better.:rolleyes:

I hope most will agree, that those "little holes" drilled in it, and the engineering involved in them, are the BIG difference between the expensive guns and the cheap stuff.

Len
05-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Yep, there's a lot of little companies around the world making spray guns and most will spray paint. I think you find, like I did a long time ago, that you get what you pay for. While you're a novice almost any gun will satisfy your needs but as you become more skilled you will tend to use more refined equipment that has better engineering to give you the results you want.

Henry
05-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Len, thanks for the info on the hvlp vs conventional.:)

I like to look for the lesser or completely unknown companies that sit in the shadows of the big companies and produce an equal gun at a lower price.
Part of the reason the big dogs charge so much for their products is that they have to pay for the advertising.
Maybe this gun is junk. Maybe it's new technology that will sweep the paint industry. I don't know. That's why I asked, , henry.
What about the many of us who get taken in by the new company with good advertising and we get stuck. Just trying to help you not fall into that trap. If that offended you then please let me know; we can discuss further. Regards. Henry

86camaroman
05-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Henry i hope you get the chance to try a sata rp or i have heard the devilbiss plus is good just havent used one but if you use a high pressure gun like the sata rp or the iwata w400 for your clear since you can get a great job with the hvlp i guarrantee you will be phsyced one you try one of these top of the line high pressure guns cause honestly you can tell a difference i always used a hvlp gun for my clear and could get a great result then everyone told me to try the rp and the w400 i did and i am telling you my clear has never looked better hope you get the chance to try one