PDA

View Full Version : ok to paint in 90F +??

Hannibal
05-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, the last of the cool weather has moved out of south texas. I am almost ready to paint my truck in a makeshift booth in backyard. The weather has been hot lately, but dry as we are in a drought. SO would it be ok to shoot about 10AM, when it is usually 80F and 50-75% humidity, or at 6 pm when it is 90F but lower humidity (30-50 %)

WHat would you do? Its cooler but humid in the AM, but drier and warmer in the PM.

ANy thoughts?

PS I am going to use a slow reducer either way.

Pot
05-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I think you'll get a better job if you shoot it in the morning for a couple of reasons. At 90+ temps in low humidity, the paint is drying very fast even with a slow reducer/activator. The additional humidity in the morning isn't a factor unless you are shooting lacquer.

Further, in South Texas, by 6 PM you will most likely have to contend with more bugs and since you are using a makeshift booth, you'll be more vulnerable to windspeed which is usually higher in the afternoon there. Besides, unless you are real quick, you may run out of good usable light before you are finished painting. Even if you have lights when it starts to get dark, in a makeshift booth, that will make the bugs even worse. Ask me how I know.

In 90+ heat, you will be sweating. It drips off your face and out the exhaust valve of your respirator. Drops of sweat don't make a prettier paint job.

I prefer to paint in 75-80 degree conditions whether it's in a makeshift booth or a high dollar temp controlled booth.

Mi dos centavos(in honor of Cinco De Mayo).

Hannibal
05-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Ok, good. Thats what I will do. I will let my primer dry overnight. Then I should do a wipe down. Then start painting by 10-11 am!