PDA

View Full Version : paint prep for aftermarket rubber bumpers

TheCoatingStore.com

pane2k
05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
I was just curious as to how you guys are prepping your aftermarket rubber bumpers before putting your paint on?

Those bumpers come with that cheap black laquer or whatever it is primer...that doesnt stick tot he rubber for crap.
What i've been doing..which may be going a bit overboard...but i like to be on the safe side.. is..
I get the bumper in..i strip the cheap primer off. It wipes right off with laquer thinner. I clean it with waterborn cleaner.
Wax and grease it.
I sand the raw rubber with 500. It sands very very easy .
I wax and grease it again.
I tack rag it. I put 2 medium coats of bulldog on. Then i use PPG epoxy primer with the 701 or 702 hardener...forgot which one is for flex.. right over the bull dog.
Then i start laying my color over the epoxy using the wet on wet technique.

I've had extreme luck this way.. Ive done bumpers..the people crash into walls..rip the bumper and tear them...but you still cant peel the paint off the edge.

I was just wondering what you guys do with these aftermarket rubber bumpers... Trying to see if maybe im going overboard...
Its just such a pain to have to strip one to redo it if a customer comes back complaining cuz its peeling..so i try to just do it right the first time as much as i can.

Thanks
John

68-chevyman
05-04-2006, 12:04 AM
We should'nt have to use aftermarket bumper covers in the first place but we do. I think it is the ins. co. baby. I know if that cheap primer caused my paint to peal I would ask the ins. co. for OEM and tell the customer it was the ins. co. falt for cuting my est. and paying for second rate.
I will be replaceing a aftermarkit bumper that I put on with an OEM in a day or two because it did not fit right. Already got the go ahead from the ins. co. I will get paid to do the job twice.
How is that for sticken it to the MAN?

mmooney84
05-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Most aftermarket bumpers i get are just raw plastic. I take a red scuff pad to them and then i spray dupont adhesion promoter on them. I like dupont adhesion promoter better than bulldog even though bulldog is cheap. Then i spray ready spray sealer. i buy that stuff from nason in a gallon for about 40 bucks. Once that has dried for about an hour I spray 2-3 coats of bc then I clear. Never had a problem yet.

pane2k
05-04-2006, 11:40 PM
We should'nt have to use aftermarket bumper covers in the first place but we do. I think it is the ins. co. baby. I know if that cheap primer caused my paint to peal I would ask the ins. co. for OEM and tell the customer it was the ins. co. falt for cuting my est. and paying for second rate.
I will be replaceing a aftermarkit bumper that I put on with an OEM in a day or two because it did not fit right. Already got the go ahead from the ins. co. I will get paid to do the job twice.
How is that for sticken it to the MAN?

yeah thats great and all, but when your trying to save a customer a 500 or 1000 dollar deductable, you tend to use aftermarket because they just dont care...as long as nothing comes out of their pocket.

Very rarely am i able to order an aftermarket bumper raw, but I do try bedcause i like them that way the best personally.

68-chevyman
05-05-2006, 06:49 AM
yeah thats great and all, but when your trying to save a customer a 500 or 1000 dollar deductable, you tend to use aftermarket because they just dont care...as long as nothing comes out of their pocket.

Very rarely am i able to order an aftermarket bumper raw, but I do try bedcause i like them that way the best personally.

If they just dont care...as long as nothing comes out of their pocket. Why should you. Why not just paint over the primer. I have never had a peeling problem.
500.00 dollars is a large part of your pay check. Are you sure you want to get in the habbit of giving that away?

pane2k
05-08-2006, 05:53 PM
well when they agree for the use of aftermarket parts on their car vs. oem to save the money, we do it.
I mean dont get me wrong... i only help friends out with deductables.
But another thing is in my area there are tons of body shops so its very competetive. Alot of shops around here save deductables...and as you know most customers dont look at quality, they look at price.
Hell most customers dont even look at the job you killed your self to get to perfection, they just get into their car and drive away.

Out of all the shops in the area, we're always packed because of the quality of work we do. Everyone else is pretty slow, and we cant fit all the cars we have in the shop.
So i never try to sacrafice quality, thats why i was asking to see what other techniques some users do.

Thanks for the responses
John

68-chevyman
05-08-2006, 09:20 PM
well when they agree for the use of aftermarket parts on their car vs. oem to save the money, we do it.
I mean dont get me wrong... i only help friends out with deductables.
But another thing is in my area there are tons of body shops so its very competetive. Alot of shops around here save deductables...and as you know most customers dont look at quality, they look at price.
Hell most customers dont even look at the job you killed your self to get to perfection, they just get into their car and drive away.

Out of all the shops in the area, we're always packed because of the quality of work we do. Everyone else is pretty slow, and we cant fit all the cars we have in the shop.
So i never try to sacrafice quality, thats why i was asking to see what other techniques some users do.

Thanks for the responses
John

Sorry, I know your just tring to do a good job. It just don't seem right to be forced to sand all that crap off in the name of saveing money. I would'nt do that for my own mother.

mmooney84
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Sorry, I know your just tring to do a good job. It just don't seem right to be forced to sand all that crap off in the name of saveing money. I would'nt do that for my own mother.

ME EITHER!:D

pane2k
05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
well you actually dont have to sand all that crap off. Its so cheap that it wipes right off with laquer thinner. So it doesnt end up being that much extra work to ensure a perfect bullet proof finish.

68-chevyman
05-09-2006, 07:14 PM
well you actually dont have to sand all that crap off. Its so cheap that it wipes right off with laquer thinner. So it doesnt end up being that much extra work to ensure a perfect bullet proof finish.

If that is the case striping would be an option. I just never tried it. Have you had one peal? I never have and all I do is wet sand and paint.

pane2k
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I havent had one peel recently, but i just dont trust that cheap primer they put on there. I think its laquer.
Once in a blue moon i'll sand it and paint it like you do, but i always throw a coat of bull dog or something to provide whatever extra adhesion i can achieve.

I know the bullet proof way is take the shit primer off by wiping it down with laquer thinner. Sanding it with 500, bulldog, wet on wet epoxy primer with a flexible hardener...then base and clear right on top of it.
I do them like that day in and day out and its bullet proof. We did one and the bumper got ripped off..and dragged down the street...and you couldnt peel the paint off the edges for nothing.

Once in a while i'll get lazy...or if the cars a junk, ill wet sand the bumper, red scuff pad it with sem soap. Waterborn clean it, wax and grease remove it, bulldog then base/clear.

proshadetree
08-28-2006, 07:19 PM
If you were painting over a factory bumper would you need adhesion promoter
Also do you need a flex agent in the base or the clearcoat

pane2k
08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
The flex is used in the clear. And alot of 2:1 clears dont require a flex because the manufacturer claims the clear is flexible already.
As far as adhesion promotor on factory primed bumpers, I use it as a precaution to make sure i get the best durable finish, especially on bumpers which are constatnly tapped, It hasnt hurt yet.

proshadetree
08-28-2006, 07:33 PM
not factory primed but a bumper that on a car that needs a little tlc

Len
08-30-2006, 08:59 AM

You need an adhesion promoter on flexible parts that don't have primer on them. Depending on the materials you're using you usually only need flex additive in paint that gets mixed with a hardener.

wolfsautobody
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM

I went to a PPG certification class a few years ago and they stated that the basecoat doesn't need flex additives. They stated that it will flex enough. The clear is what usually gets so brittle and to add it in to the clear if it is like a 4:1 mix.

primebrad
04-13-2007, 07:25 PM
what about an oem bumper thats been partially stripped and has spot patches of filler in it and fibreglass glued to it?
Should I strip all remaining paint, spray adhesion promoter ( is it ok over filler??), spot prime filler and fiberglass with urethane primer then bc/cc.
Or should I just thoroghly scratch the whole thing, then prime the lot and paint??
I will also be poly priming the areas where the fibreglass meets the original bumper.

Len
04-13-2007, 11:15 PM
In areas where rigid fiberglass meets flexible bumper all your fillers, primers and paint need to be flexible. I've never seen an adhesion promoter that couldn't be applied over just about any material that you wanted to paint so apply it over the entire bumper, filler and fiberglass surface before you apply flexible primer but the only place you really MUST have it is on the bare flexible plastic bumper. If the paint that is now on the bumper is in good shape I probably wouldn't recommend stripping because you could damage the plastic. Paint that is holding on well and is not damaged can be scuffed and repainted without the need for adhesion promoter but just remember that all the fillers and coatings including the paint should be flexible so that they don't crack.