PDA

View Full Version : Question about buffing acrylic enamel

Jeff Lewis
05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I have shot my truck with Centari. Some places have a little orange peel that I can color sand and buff. My question,which probably sounds stupid,is there are areas that are completely flat and perfect ...should I buff these areas also or should I just leave them alone? Also the paint specs say not to wax the paint for 120 days, is this correct???Thanks.

Robert
05-03-2006, 06:48 PM
If it doesn't need to be sanded or buffed don't do it. If after you cut some areas they don't match up, you can always do it then.

Be really careful buffing that stuff. If you get up on the edge you can be through before you even know it.

Take Care,
Robert

Henry
05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I have shot my truck with Centari. Some places have a little orange peel that I can color sand and buff. My question,which probably sounds stupid,is there are areas that are completely flat and perfect ...should I buff these areas also or should I just leave them alone? Also the paint specs say not to wax the paint for 120 days, is this correct???Thanks.
Centari which is (AE) requires a very long time to cure. I would not sand and buff unless you had to fix something. Warning is if you break through the metallic you can't just scuff and shoot more paint on; this stuff is still uncured and will be for many months. Hope you used hardener in the Centari; it does help the gloss and cure process.
NO WAX; no new paintjob should or needs to be waxed. With the wide variety of bodyshop safe polish and glazes out there you don't need wax. Mainly no wax because it will seal things up and hamper the cure process; just not needed. When someone tells you differently tell them to look at a new car owners manual that tells you even on a brand new car DO NOT WAX for 60 or 90 days and that's factory BAKED paint and is bc/cc. Leave the enamel alone. As for me, I sand and buff Centari in 3 days or so. That was when I used it a lot in the 80's. Will not use it anymore since the cost is up there with the bc/cc system; at least the color anyway. Henry