PDA

View Full Version : turbine system

robert cavalier
09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi,
Been a long time since my last visit! I am considering a turbine system. I want to forego purchasing a larger compressor and all the hardware, and am seriously considering a turbine . I read alot of posts about how you need the right gun to get a great finish. I wonder if I can really get a solid paint job with a turbine? Any really worth it? Should I go with a regular compressor gun set up? It seems these units would be rather convienent,or are they to good to be true? Bob :scratchch

Len
09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Having a production shop for many years I've had a lot of sales people come in selling these systems. They would leave them for a week or two and we would check them out. I'll bet we tried a dozen different turbine systems but couldn't produce a decent paint job with one and eventually stopped using them because they slowed our production and it was costing us too much.

Years passed and the pumps improved, they came out with three stage then four stage which increased the air volume and pressure. This atomized the paint better but there was still too much peel.

Finally Axis asked us to test their system with a LexAire spray gun and we sent it back with a grade of C- telling them we wouldn't sell it on our site because we would need to support it and we didn't want any angry customers. The people at Axis took this quite personally and began experimenting with other guns. They ended up sending us a 4 stage pump and sent us one gun after another until they hit the jackpot.

The gun that ended up being the only one we would use or recommend for automotive refinishing is the AccuSpray Series 10 Gravity Feed Gun. I was amazed at how well it sprayed. Once you get the right paint and reducer combination it's like you're spraying a sheet of paint coming from the gun and laying on the car. It was almost as smooth as high pressure spraying without the overspray and it used a lot less paint. With a little buffing we turned out several show quality jobs using this setup.

You can check them out on the link below.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/AXAS71001b.jpg
Turbine Sprayer Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AXAS71001a&Category_Code=5TSS)

Kent
09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I hear these will be good for the waterbased paints since the air is heated.

55chevylover
09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
One other thing to consider if you buy a conpressor you will be not only be able to spray with it you can run all the other air tools with it. jmo

Len
10-01-2008, 10:25 AM
One other thing to consider if you buy a conpressor you will be not only be able to spray with it you can run all the other air tools with it. jmo

That's right, a turbine is only for spraying, it can't run other tools.