PDA

View Full Version : Replacing airbags

TheCoatingStore.com

mmooney84
03-27-2006, 11:44 PM
I am replacing airbags on a 98 Honda Accord. Anyone know the steps? Do chilton manuals tell you have to do this or the manuals only good for mechanical work?

Sid
03-28-2006, 12:31 AM
if you have a Motors or, Mitchels crash book they will tell you the required componets that need replacing. I have done airbag replacement in the past, it's not difficult if you replace the required parts, but I farm all my airbag work out to the dealers now because of the liability issues.

mmooney84
03-28-2006, 12:49 AM
How much do dealers usually charge you to do it? I can get the bags for about 500 with modules. Whats a good estimate on labor?

TimG
04-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Mitchell's time is @5 hrs to change the bags,clockspring,module,and system diagnosis.
If you are supplying used parts,a dealer may not want to touch it for the liability issue.
I've done bags in Hondas before,don't remember them being too bad.
Unhook the neg bat cable,let it sit for 10 or 20 minutes,driver's side is held in by a couple of torx screws accessed thru the back of the wheel,clockspring is under the steering wheel,make sure it's centered,directions should be on a decal on the unit itself.
Pass bag is bolted to a bracket on the dash,remove the glove box to access the nuts,and gently pry up on the part on top of the dash,may be a bit of a struggle.
Control module is under the center of the dash,ahead of the shifter,you may have to slit the carpet to remove it,connector may be a bit tricky,you may have to push an outer sleeve in,push main body of connecter in,to release,may have a plastic bail that flips one way or the other,can't really remember.
Check your seat belts,if they are locked up,they can't be repaired.
I always keep my body away from the path of the bag on the first turn of the key w/ a new system,even if it means laying on the floor of the car!
Good Luck!

Chris L
04-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Good point Tim,i heard that a body tech here a few years ago had his neck broke due to a deployed air bag that he installed.